Subject: Welcome to OpenBSD 2.5

From: [email-masked] (Theo de Raadt)
Date: Tue June 1 04:50:00 MDT 1999

This message attempts to describe the most basic first questions that a
system administrator of an OpenBSD box might have.  You are urged to save
this message for later reference.

For more information on how to setup your OpenBSD system, refer to the
"afterboot" man page.  If you are not familiar with how to read man pages,
type "man man" at a shell prompt and read the entire thing.  Pay specific
attention to the "man -k keyword" option, which will permit you to find the
man page you are looking for easier.  The GNU "info" subsystem is also
installed with further documentation resources; to read info pages type "info".

If you have installed the X11 packages during the install process, you can find
further information regarding configuration in the file /usr/X11R6/README.

Several popular binary packages (pre-compiled applications) are available
for most architetures.  If you installed from a CD-ROM the packages
are on the same CD-ROM you installed from in the directory 2.5/packages.

CD-ROM Space permitted us to include the following packages for the most common
architectures:
        Xaw3d-1.3.tgz		aalib-1.2.tgz		autoconf-2.13.tgz
	bash-2.03.tgz		bison-1.25.tgz		bzip2-0.9.0c.tgz
	compface-1.0.tgz	egcs-1.1.2.tgz		emacs-20.3.tgz
	enscript-1.6.1.tgz	ethereal-0.5.1.tgz	fetchmail-4.7.9.tgz
	gettext-0.10.35.tgz	ghostscript-5.10.tgz	gimp-1.1.4.tgz
	glib-1.2.1.tgz		gmake-3.77.tgz		gnuplot-3.7.tgz
	gtk+-1.2.1.tgz		gv-3.5.8.tgz		id-utils-3.2.tgz
	iozone-2.01.tgz		mm-2.7.tgz		ircii-2.8.2-epic3.004.tgz
	jpeg-6b.tgz		m4-1.4.tgz		netpipes-4.1.1-export.tgz
	mpeg_lib-1.2.1.tgz	nmh-1.0.tgz		pine-4.10.tgz
	png-1.0.3.tgz		screen-3.7.6.tgz	sharutils-4.2.tgz
	sniffit-0.3.5.tgz	tar-1.12.tgz		tcl-8.0.5.tgz
	tcsh-6.08.00.tgz	tiff-3.4.tgz		tk-8.0.5.tgz
	unzip-5.40.tgz		wget-1.5.3.tgz		xcolors-1.3.tgz
	xntp3-5.93e-export.tgz

These and many other packages are also available via ftp at
	ftp://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/2.5/packages/
If you do not find a package you want on the CD, please go look at your
nearest FTP mirror site.

Select your architecture and download the tarballs of your choice.  For example
to install the emacs package for i386, execute
   # mount /dev/cd0a /cdrom; pkg_add /cdrom/2.5/packages/i386/emacs-20.3.tgz
or # pkg_add ftp://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/2.5/packages/i386/emacs-20.3.tgz

Other important packages which are not permitted on the CD (due to patents) are
available on our FTP servers (as described above).  In particular, we provide
the USA and international versions of both SSH and PGP.  The filenames are:
	ssh-1.2.26-usa.tgz	ssh-1.2.26-intl.tgz	pgp-2.6.3-usa.tgz
	pgp-2.6.3-intl.tgz
You are STRONGLY urged to install one of the above ssh packages and use ssh
instead of telnet, rlogin, or rsh.

Significant efforts were made to centralize all system configuration in the
/etc directory.  You should be able to find each of the configuration files
you seek there, lightly documented.  In particular, much of the configuration
has been centralized in the file /etc/rc.conf.  You should not need to ever
edit the file /etc/rc.   The files /etc/rc.securelevel and /etc/rc.local exist
for this purpose; the first is run before the system has gone into secure
mode; the second is run afterwards (if in doubt, add your tools to rc.local).

Please refer to our web pages for any other questions you might have.
	http://www.OpenBSD.org

OpenBSD is free software.  You can do with it as you like, subject to very few
conditions (described at www.OpenBSD.org/policy.html).  But free software isn't
written without money.  Network links, hardware costs, release engineering
and testing work; all these things take money and significant effort on the
part of those who have made this OpenBSD release what it is.  Please reward the
developers who have made OpenBSD what it is, and thus make it possible for this
wonderful process to continue.  For more information on how you can help,
please see www.OpenBSD.org/goals.html and visit www.OpenBSD.org/donations.html
to see a list of those who have donated money, equipment, or other resources
to ensure OpenBSD continues.  (Thus far, most of those who have donated have
been developers themselves).

If you wish to ensure that OpenBSD runs better on your machines, please do us
a favor (after you have your mail system setup!) and type
	dmesg | mail [email-masked]
so that we can see what kinds of configurations people are running.  We will
use this information to improve device driver support in future releases.
(Please do this using the supplied GENERIC kernel, not for a custom compiled 
kernel, unless you're unable to boot the GENERIC kernel).  The device driver 
information we get from this helps us fix existing drivers. Thank you!

(If you used 'mail' to read this message and it scrolled by too quickly,
type "more .")